Skip to main content
Ask a Question
Finance
Jason Fox
Writer / DIY Homeowner
Asked a question 2 years ago

What is the premium, if any, for building a Passive House? Has anyone successfully gotten to cost-neutral when compared to traditional built buildings?

Where am I?

In Passive House Accelerator Community you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Jason,

Having spent the better part of my career estimating in the Commercial General Construction marketplace, I would argue that we can achieve PH for zero premium in first-cost.  For that to happen, project teams will have to be optimized to ensure that there is no learning curve.  The team will have to invest earlier into the project in terms of goal setting and energy modeling.  But, overall there should not be a premium.  We have plenty of public data in Pennsylvania, through the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency, to prove that this is true.  We also have data through our projects that support this statement.  Having said that, smaller projects may have challenges to reach first-cost parity due to the surface of wall to volume of air ratio.

What is the premium, if any, for building a Passive House? Has anyone successfully gotten to cost-neutral when compared to traditional built buildings?

Good Luck.