Skip to main content
Ask a Question
Thermal Bridging
Asked a question last year

Hi all, just a basic Flixo question, or really confirmation that I am placing the reference point correctly for window installation thermal bridges. I had been following the Flixo tutorial for 3 constructions, which doesn't necessarily align with what we need for PH certification. So I have done a 2 construction Psi query, getting the same result. (just pointing out the frame does have a cut-out and sits on the edge of a CLT (cross laminated timber)wall). regards Torquil

Where am I?

In Passive House Accelerator Community you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Ed May
Partner, Building-Type LLC

Hi Torquil,

Yup - you have the reference point in the right spot (edge of the frame) - but I'd do it as a two-component Psi-Value and not use the U-value of just the panel, rather use the Heat-Flow of the entire window assembly (panel+frame) in order to calc your Psi-Install. So something like:

Hi all, just a basic Flixo question, or really confirmation that I am placing the reference point correctly for window installation thermal bridges. I had been following the Flixo tutorial for 3 constructions, which doesn't necessarily align with what we need for PH certification. So I have done a 2 construction Psi query, getting the same result. (just pointing out the frame does have a cut-out and sits on the edge of a CLT (cross laminated timber)wall). regards Torquil

In Flixo, when calc'ing Psi-Values you can tell it to use either the U-value of the element, or use a custom HF for the reference value:

and then pull HF that from a model of the frame+glass. I think the new version even has a 'link' tool so it'll update as the model changes (pretty sure).

hope that helps!

best,

-Ed