Skip to main content
Ask a Question
Education & Training
Stuart Bridgett
Associate Director, Thermal Systems at Sidewalk Labs
Asked a question 6 months ago

Hi all. I'm looking to get some formal passivehouse training and certification advice. It seems there are a range of options. About me...I am a PE mechanical engineer, ~18 years experience of design, and multidisciplinary design management, and have had the privilege of working on some great projects where architectural performance had specific targets to enable energy targets, technology use etc - holistic building design, as well as some net zero projects and one high rise passivehouse (in the very early stages). I also teach engineering for architects as part of a postgraduate architecture program and an integrated building studio. What accreditations would you recommend, and which would be open to me? I suspect 'passivehouse consultant' is more fitting; I don't know that I would see myself taking on any kind of architectural role in the future, but at the same time I want the best groundwork in PH that I can gain and 'designer' has a great deal of attraction.

Where am I?

In Passive House Accelerator Community you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Hi Stuart,  For foundational knowledge that sets you up to go deeper and deeper, the CPHD course is the best.  It says "designer" but it's also for consultants and is meant for people who "plan" buildings - architects and engineers and other building-related consultants. (We also see students, developers and policymakers/regulators taking the course.) I'm the Exec Dir of NAPHN and we offer the course on-demand online (the deadline is tomorrow for the October exam) or is available live online in September or November.  www.naphnetwork.org19    I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have, or you can write directly to [email protected]14. Cheers!

Anton Dobrevski
Co-Founder Passive House School

Hi Stuart, It's great that you are interested in becoming a Passive House professional. The best way forward for you would be to follow a Certified Passive House Designer/Consultant (CPHD/C) course. Regarding the accreditations and the difference between becoming a Designer or a Consultant - both titles are equal in terms of qualification with ref­er­en­ce to the Passive House relevant knowledge. The only difference between Certified Passive House Designers and Consultants is in their background, as far as Designers come from highly relevant fields (e.g. architecture, civil engineering, etc.). Consultants, on the other hand, can come from any background. At the Passive House School, we have an upcoming CPHD/C online course in September -

If you want to further discuss the course, feel free to schedule a call with me -

I would be happy to help and answer any questions you have :)